Monday 26 September 2011

Samuel West on the New River Walk

Samuel West on the New River Walk

September 26, 2011



Actor Samuel West, 45, is a familiar face to crime drama fans, having appeared in Waking the Dead, Midsomer Murders and The Inspector Lynley Mysteries. But away from the limelight, Samuel likes to go for bird-watching river walks.
“One of the best ways I can think of to pass the time is to take the New River Walk between Islington and Canonbury N1. Despite the name, the New River is neither new nor a river. It is a man-made waterway, designed to supply London with fresh water from the River Lea in Hertfordshire, and built in 1613 by Sir Hugh Myddelton, whose statue you can see on Islington Green.
“I try to get down here once or twice a week to do some bird watching for an hour or so. I’ve seen about 25 species and anything new turning up, however common, is a cause for celebration. I’ve seen a sparrowhawk, a grey wagtail and twice a pair of firecrests. We did have a resident grey heron whom the locals called Harry, but he disappeared. Then a juvenile heron appeared – perhaps one of Harry’s offspring.
“The New River Walk is a real oasis in a borough that’s not known for its leafy spaces. The water is no longer free flowing, but the council keeps it clean. I think of it as my patch and now that I’ve got better at recognising birdsong, walking this little green thread, surrounded by a cast of characters whom I hadn’t met until a few years ago, is really one of my very favourite things.”
Discover other North London walks.
Image: Samuel West by Tony Kyriacou/Rex Features; New River Walk by Lindsey Clarke

No comments:

Post a Comment